Have you seen Nick Korbel’s series about hiring techies? See On Hiring Techies.
There are several posts:
- Evaluate Potential, Not Accomplishments. He’s talking about evaluating qualities, preferences, and non-technical skills.
- Coding Challenge: A pre-interview audition. The cool thing is that they then discuss the audition in the interview.
- The Team Interview. I dislike panel interviews. It sounds as if Nick has some positive experience with it. I prefer one-on-one interviews with an interview matrix to organize the interviewing. One thing I do like is that Nick says the entire team must agree with the hire. (Yes—Fist pump!)
- Hire For Cultural Fit. Nick says, “I can teach someone a new technology. I cannot teach someone how to fit into our culture.” Believe it.
If you want to see some of my posts, check out:
Three Tips to Streamline Your Interviews and Auditions, Part 4. Also, check out my audition tag.
My own cultural fit posts:
- Series on Cultural Fit Posted
- How to Hire for Cultural Fit Without Becoming Insular or Mediocre
- Hiring for Cultural Fit: It’s Time to Add Women, pt 1
You can always get your own copy of Hiring Geeks That Fit. It explains everything all in one place.Tags: audition, candidate, cultural fit, hiring strategy, interview