Rothman Consulting Group, Inc.
I consult, speak, and write on the issues of managing product development–specifically as a project management consultant, risk management consultant, and people management consultant for software or IT products.
I have a proven track record of working with development organizations to enable them to deliver products: on time, under budget, with the right features, and without the bugs.
Management and Organizational Development
- Hands-on Engineering management positions (Manager, Director, VP levels) while recruiting for my full-time replacement (Software Engineering, SQA, Release Engineering, Development, Project and Program Management, Customer Service Management positions).
- Coach to executives and mid-level managers
Process and Productivity
- Project, Product development, and organizational assessments
- Analysis of project plans, failure of estimates to meet schedules, and failures in feature analysis. Process redesign to solve the problems.
- Facilitator for process design and definition for a number of organizations.
- Analysis and review of ISO 9000 Configuration Management concerns in preparation for the registration audit.
Project Rescue for Floundering Projects
- Analysis, prioritization, and initial definition of project management for a floundering project. Defined and implemented lightweight processes for project success.
- Analysis, definition, and implementation of program management, project management, and SQA management to bring out-of-control projects to beta and product ship, and the organizations into some semblance of order.
- Extensive experience in project and program management
- Developed and presented a variety of training workshops for all levels of software engineering staff and management in the areas of: Product Development Processes, Concurrent Engineering, System Test Plans, Test Scenario Design, Advanced Test Scenario Design, Code Reviews, Design Reviews and Inspections, Hiring Technical People, Interviewing SKills for Engineers, Defining and Managing Requirements, Software Project Management
- Coach and mentor for CEOs, VPs, SQA, Development, and Customer Service Managers and Directors.
- Member of the clinical faculty of The Gordon Institute at Tufts University, 1995-2007.
- Invited speaker at international conferences
- Consulting with product development organizations to set up a variety of projects including components and high reuse projects.
- Facilitator for project retrospectives
Software Quality Assurance
- Consulting with software development and SQA groups in organizations to better define the project, schedule, and deliverables for a successful product introduction.
- Facilitating SQA organizational development by analysis of SQA personnel needs and creation of hiring criteria.
- Extensive, 15 year, experience in SQA management.
Education and Training
- 1998 Member of Jerry Weinberg's Software Engineering Management group
- 1998 Weinberg and Weinberg, Congruent Change Leadership Workshop
- 1996 Weinberg and Weinberg, Problem Solving Leadership
- 1990,1991 Philip Crosby Associates QIPM and QES training courses.
- 1985 M.S. Systems Engineering, Boston University, Boston, MA
- 1977 B. S. Computer Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT.
- 1977 B. A.. English Literature, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT.
- 1995-1996, 1996-1997 Massachusetts Quality Award Examiner.