Johanna Rothman Brief Resume
I consult, speak, and write on the issues of managing product development. I offer a variety of consulting services for these areas of product development:
- Project management
- Program management
- Project portfolio management
- Risk management, which applies to project, programs, and the project portfolio
- People management
I have a proven track record of working with development organizations to enable them to deliver products: on time, under budget, with the right features, and without defects. I use iterative, incremental, and agile approaches to achieve these results.
I have extensive experience as a project manager, program manager, and hiring manager.
Management and Organizational Development
- Hands-on Engineering management positions (Manager, Director, VP levels) while recruiting for my full-time replacement (Software Engineering, SQA, Release Engineering, Development, Project and Program Management, Customer Service Management positions).
- Coach to executives, mid-level managers, program managers, and others.
Process and Productivity
- Assessments for: projects, product development in general, and organizations. Includes strategy assessment
- Analysis of project plans, failure of estimates to meet schedules, and failures in feature analysis. Process redesign to solve the problems.
- Facilitator for process design and definition for a number of organizations.
- Analysis and review of ISO 9000 Configuration Management concerns in preparation for the registration audit.
Project Rescue for Floundering Projects
- Several rescues for floundering projects. Defined and implemented lightweight processes for project success.
- Supported “agile” projects in discovering how to make agile principles work for them.
- Analysis, definition, and implementation of program management, project management, and SQA management to bring out-of-control projects to beta and product ship, and the organizations into some semblance of order.
- Extensive experience in project and program management
- Developed and presented a variety of training workshops for all levels of software engineering staff and management in these areas: project management; program management; hiring and interviewing; project portfolio management; product ownership and leadership; and knowledge work management.
- Coach and mentor for CEOs, VPs, SQA, Development, and Customer Service Managers and Directors.
- Member of the clinical faculty of The Gordon Institute at Tufts University, 1995-2007.
- Invited speaker at international conferences
- Consulting with product development organizations to set up a variety of projects including components and high reuse projects.
- Facilitator for project retrospectives
Software Quality Assurance
- Consulting with software development and SQA groups in organizations to better define the project, schedule, and deliverables for a successful product introduction.
- Facilitating SQA organizational development by analysis of SQA personnel needs and creation of hiring criteria.
- Extensive, 15 years, experience in SQA management.
See all my books. They reflect my expertise in various aspects of product development
Education and Training
- 1998 Member of Jerry Weinberg's Software Engineering Management group
- 1998 Weinberg and Weinberg, Congruent Change Leadership Workshop
- 1996 Weinberg and Weinberg, Problem Solving Leadership
- 1990,1991 Philip Crosby Associates QIPM and QES training courses.
- 1985 M.S. Systems Engineering, Boston University, Boston, MA
- 1977 B. S. Computer Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT.
- 1977 B. A.. English Literature, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT.
- 1995-1996, 1996-1997 Massachusetts Quality Award Examiner.
- 2006 Certified Scrum Master