Workshop Objective: This experiential workshop helps agile technical teams prepare, interview, and select candidates. This workshop prepares people who may have only been on one side of the interview as a candidate to effectively participate on an interviewing team and effectively evaluate candidates. This workshop specifically address the cultural issues and particulars of finding candidates who can successfully integrate into your agile team.
Workshop Overview: We will define what makes your agile team unique, and what kinds of questions to ask. . We’ll discuss and practice developing and using phone screen questions to find candidates you want to interview; how to plan the in-person interview; how to ask questions in an in-person interview; how to develop auditions and test those auditions, and how to provide feedback to the hiring manager.
This workshop is based on Johanna’s book, Hiring Geeks That Fit. Each participant will receive a copy of the book as part of the workshop.
Target Audience: Technical staff, including team leads, developers, testers, engineers, writers, and support staff.
Workshop Duration: 1 or 2 days depending on what you select from the outline.
- What makes your agile team unique
- Discuss the particular qualities, preferences, and skills (technical and non-technical) you require in a candidate
- Discuss your agile culture
- Develop interview skills
- Discuss types of questions
- Legal questions
- Develop questions
- Phone screen activity
- In-person interview activity
- Apply interviewing skills to the candidate
- How to read a resume
- Example and practice for how to apply question development skills to a particular resume
- Develop auditions
- What an audition is
- How to develop auditions
- Activity: practice developing auditions
- Plan and perform the interview
- Plan the interview
- Practice interview questions with coaching
- After the interview
- How to provide feedback to the hiring manager
- Techniques to clarify your feedback
- Wrap-up and feedback
Contact me for the extended description.