Mike has a fine (and funny) piece on what to do (and a little about what not to do) as a candidate, Applying for a Java job – HOWTO. His major points:
- Your cover letter or email should be in readable English
- Your experience should be relevant
- Read the bloody job ad (his words, not mine)
- Do something, anything to stand out
- So you have experience, explain it!
- Lose the insanity
Candidates, employers do want to hire you. But they want to hire people who are (at least) close to being suitable for the job. Match your technical skills to open positions. Remember, you could be a hiring manager someday.