With these three books, you can learn to manage yourself. You can reframe your practice of management to lead and serve others. And you can practice creating an organization where innovation thrives.
Become a modern manager and excel every day. Buy all three Modern Management Made Easy books now.
Why You Should Buy All Three Books
Some of my early readers have said they like to read each book, one at a time. Other readers have said they like to check out the table of contents so they can dip in and out of each book.
So far, all readers have said they focus on what's applicable to them now. You might feel the same way, especially if you feel under pressure.
Use these books, to first see your alternatives. Then, decide where you want to study and experiment. You’ll free yourself from outdated and unhelpful management practices. Instead, you’ll practice how you can create a better environment for success at all levels.
Create your management excellence, one small action at a time.
The Principles Common to All the Books
These books share these common principles:
- Clarify your purpose.
- Build empathy with the people who do the work.
- Build a safe environment.
- Seek outcomes and optimize for an overarching goal.
- Encourage experiments and learning.
- Catch people succeeding.
- Exercise your value-based integrity.
Each book explains how to consider these principles in its specific context.
Where to Buy the Books
You can buy each book alone or as part of a bundle.
Each of the books in the three-volume set:
- Practical Ways to Manage Yourself (Book 1)
- Practical Ways to Lead and Serve—Manage—Others (Book 2)
- Practical Ways to Lead an Innovative Organization (Book 3)
Want to buy the bundle? Go here:
- Buy all three ebooks on leanpub: Modern Management Made Easy bundle
- All three ebooks on Google Play
- On Amazon: ebooks, print, and hardcover.
- You can request the books at your local bookstore or the library!
See the separate book pages if you want to buy a single book at a time.
Podcasts You Might Enjoy
I've had the pleasure of appearing on these podcasts:
- Troubleshooting Agile: Johanna Rothman on Modern Management – Part i (I had a blast with Squirrel and Jeffrey. They're also fans of Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management. Yay!) and Part 2: https://soundcloud.com/troubleshootingagile/johanna-rothman-on-modern-management-part-ii
- I spoke with Tom Cagley on the SPaMCAST 635 – Practical Ways to Manage, A Conversation with Johanna Rothman.
- With Dan Neumann, Podcast Ep. 116: Modern Management Made Easy with Johanna Rothman
- With Vic, Chris, and Ben on the Agile Coffee podcast #75
- With the two Jeffs at the Agile Wire, Modern Management Made Easy with Johanna Rothman
- Scott Hanselman and I compared our not-finishing problems (among other common issues) on Modern Management Made Easy with Johanna Rothman.
- I was a guest on AgilitybyNature: A conversation with Johanna Rothman and Agility by Nature (Ian Gill)
- On Maintainable with Robby Russell: Johanna Rothman: No, Great Developers Aren't Destined to Be Great Managers
- I've known Matt Heusser and Michael Larsen for a long time. They interviewed me on The Testing Show: New Thinking in Management.
- With Chris Williams on the Badass Agile podcast.
- With Chris Lucian and Austin Chadwick on the Mob Mentality podcast: Modern Management with Johanna Rothman
Also, Jack Vinson wrote a great review of all three books: Practical ways to Manage at three levels.