Have one or two open reqs? Want to make the most of them? Follow these steps:
- Define the job. Don’t create a laundry list of tools and technology. Create a set of requirements for the position:
- Who will the person interact with, and how
- What the person needs to know about the product domain
- What kinds of non-technical skills the person needs
- Review resumes looking for experience that is relevant to your job. Education is somewhat relevant, as is years of experience. However, if the education is more than 5 or 6 years old, the candidate’s most recent experience is even more relevant.
- Ask great interview questions.
- Ask behavior-description questions to hear the person’s story
- Create and use auditions to see a person at work
- Don’t forget to check references
There’s more to hiring than this quick list, but start here and you won’t be disappointed.