I had the pleasure of being on the Agile Uprising Podcast: Modern Management Made Easy with Johanna Rothman.
We had a wide-ranging discussion, including:
- What the manager's job is (and is not).
- How servant leaders support people taking responsibility.
- Why, if people manage through the seven principles, we don't need to use transparency and communication as principles.
- How trust, empathy, and creating a safe environment are what allows us to use agile approaches.
- How we managers must be leaders and leaders also encompass parts of management.
- Why we might want to substitute the word “trust” instead of the word, “empower.”
- The costs and fallacy of yearly planning. (And what to do instead.)
I had a blast again, and with any luck, I'll return for a discussion about performance evaluations and how to offer raises.
The Seven Principles
- Clarify your purpose (you, team, organization).
- Build empathy with the people who do the work.
- Build a safe environment.
- Seek outcomes and optimize for the overarching goal.
- Encourage experiments and learning.
- Catch people succeeding.
- Exercise your value-based integrity.
The podcast: Modern Management Made Easy with Johanna Rothman. Enjoy!
See the Modern Management Made Easy books, too.