I had a great time on the Agile Coffee podcast, 75. Managing with Coffee. We had a great time and a wide-ranging conversation.
We spoke about a variety of issues that managers, teams, and people encounter, such as:
- Culture and how that plays out at all levels
- How the reward system might offer perverse incentives
- Why I don't always subscribe to the idea of intent-based leadership
- How we might ascribe value to seeing customer situations vs sitting in the office working on the product.
We did use the outcome word—which meant I had to drink my coffee (tea, in my case.)
We discussed several ideas from the Modern Management Made Easy books:
- How performance reviews make an agile culture difficult, if not impossible.
- The role of the manager: to create an environment where everyone can succeed.
- Sometimes, the best way to get to where you want to be might be an oblique path.
I had a blast with Vic, Chris, and Ben. I hope you enjoy listening!